Virtual Religious Education Teachers
Our ministry provides religious education for Catholic students, grades 1-7 inclusive, who are not attending a Catholic school. The children attending are parishioners who do not currently attend catholic school and wish to receive their sacraments at our church. Our program is run exclusively through the dedication of volunteers who are often parents of enrolled students, parish members, high school and university students, student teachers and other community members. During the pandemic, classes are being run online Monday evenings from 7:00pm-7:40pm. This program follows the religious education curriculum set by the TCDSB. All volunteer teachers are provided with materials and training to help them prepare their lessons.
We are looking for parishioners who:
- Enjoy working with children
- Are comfortable sharing and answering question about their faith
- Enjoy working collaboratively (all volunteers work in pairs)
- Can pass a criminal background check
- Can commit for the entire school year, Sept - May
- Have a creative streak
- *Bonus* have previous teaching experience
- 13-14 hours in class time from Sept - May
- 1 hour initial team meeting
- Lesson preparation
We invite interested parishioners to send their resume to Karen Zimmer for consideration. Please include:
- A bit about yourself
- What excites you about this ministry
- Why you would be a good fit
- Any questions you might have
- Interested parishioners will be interviewed and provided a more in-depth overview of the role.
- We are required to follow the Archdiocesan volunteer screening protocols found here which include reference checks, passing a criminal records check and an annual self-review and offence declaration.
- Parishioners joining the ministry will be paired up with a partner, ideally based on experience
- Training/workshops are available through the Archdiocese for interested volunteers
- Teaching manuals, textbooks and materials are provided